Steamed and Baked Cauliflower Gratin
This simple but functional health recipe makes a comforting side dish .
and it's PURPLE!
1 Medium Cauliflower ( any color) cleaned and cut into florets
1 Cup Breadcrumbs or Ground Walnuts if you prefer gluten free
4 Tablespoons melted Unsalted Butter
2 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
½ Cup Aged Gouda or Pecorino Cheese, grated
Sea Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
Preheat oven to 375 Degrees
1. Steam cauliflower until just tender, for 4-5 minutes .Cool
2. Combine butter and oil in a sauté pan and cook the breadcrumbs or nuts until lightly browned and blended. Cool
3. Combine breadcrumbs and cheese. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
4. Lightly butter an 8”x8” casserole dish. Place cauliflower florets in a single layer
5. Top cauliflower with the breadcrumb and cheese mixture
6. Bake for 10-15 minutes until the top is browned. Serve hot.
Note; Aged Gouda cheese is rich in Vitamin K-2 which is important for the absorption of calcium.